Monday, June 6, 2011

Tutorial ~ Ruffle Top for a Baby ~


Hi all! I made this top for my neighbor's new baby a while ago. I will share a quick tutorial with you.

1. I bought the type of underwear that folds in the front like kimono. You will need a shirt, and some lace.


2. Treat the edges of the lace with Serger or zigzag stitches.


3. I folded 1/2" from the rough edge of the lace and sewed two lines using the largest stitch setting. One is 1/8" from the edge, the other 1/2" from the edge. Then pull those two threads to make ruffles.


4. Pin the lace onto the front edges along the neck line. Sew in the middle of the two stitched lines. Repeat the process to make one more ruffle out of a lace and sew it on to the bottom edge.



Since I don't have a baby anymore at home (even though my children seem to act like it sometimes...), it is so much fun to come up with little baby items to work on. Don't you think there is something about baby stuff that brings smiles, "ohhh"s and "Ahhh"s?

17 comments :

  1. Cute and fast. My kind of project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so darling. My daughter would look beautiful in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i just LOVE this! It would looks just darling on my little bitty, I will have to remember to pick up one of those shirts next time I'm out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This is simply gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! And so beautiful! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-ruffle-shirt-for-a-baby/2011/07/22/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet! Great job :)

    -Annie @ {PeppermintPlum}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with this top!!!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so cute! simple and easy probably something im going to do today! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just precious!!!! I never thought to fold a "hem" before gathering!!!! Genius!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so perfect! I have a baby gift to make, happened to get some free lace at a garage sale and then found this wonderful idea. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! It actually looks like something I could do - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darling and simple idea! I imagine you could use pre-gathered lace as well.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin