Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sachiko's Cooking School

The last couple years I have made a giant calendar that lets me see the whole schedule for summer vacation. To have all the events, kids extra curricula activities, play dates, family functions and trips all in one sheet paper! I write down all the free activities that are happening in the area that I can take my kids to. This has worked so well that I made one for this summer too.

My kids behave better when we have a schedule, planned activities and something they can look forward to. I also do many art projects, but this year, I added something else on the list for them to do...

Sachiko's Cooking School


I think that my kids are old enough (especially the older two) to learn more cooking. They can cook mean scrambled eggs, pizza toast and such, but they are ready for more.
I asked them what they think about attending my cooking school once a week and they were SUPER excited! I asked them what they wanted to learn. Some of the things are...

Pot stickers, curry rice, yakisoba, fried rice, tempura...and the list goes on.
Aren't they ambitious? Maybe they were just shouting out the things they want to eat, but I love their enthusiasm. :)

I had my first cooking class this week. They learned how to make pot sticker. They washed, cut vegetables, and had so much fun doing so. We all sat around the table to wrap the pot stickers, just like I used to with my sister and mom growing up. They did such a great job.

Here are the pictures of pot stickers that they wrapped.

Apprentice no. 1 (5 years old)


Apprentice no. 2 (8 years old)


Apprentice no. 3 (10 years old)



They were so excited to serve them to the ultimate food critic (my hubby). The pot stickers turned out so good that the kids had big smiles on their faces and full tummies.

After the dinner, apprentice No. 2 was asking me; "Mom, what are you going to teach us tomorrow?"

19 comments :

  1. How sweet! What a good mom you are. You're building such wonderful memories for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great! Looks like they did a great job. Being a mom, I can definitely appreciate this post and I look forward to the day I can share on my cooking and crafting skills with the little one.

    Kudos kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me happy to read this! What a wonderful skill you are teaching. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awsome Mom! Recipes so we can do the virtual cooking school? I love pot stickers to...

    Your the best Sachiko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful idea! I think you should share the recipes on your blog too! I love your pot stickers recipe. :) There was that yummy sushi you made that one time...I'm drooling now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Tell them they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome! Could you teach us also????? Especially yakisoba!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! The potstickers look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I enroll for your cooking class?
    *O.o*.(笑う)
    I love to learn Japanese cooking and used to cook Japanese food for my kids when they were small. Now all of them hv left Penang, Malaysia and I only cook for myself. My hubby is not a fan of Japanese food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love the time and space of summer?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can we get a tutorial too? I love gyoza!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi all,

    Here is my gyoza (pot sticker) tutorial:

    http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/2009/10/recipe-moms-pot-stickers.html

    Enjoy!!

    Sachiko

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, my dumpling folding skills are totally put to shame! I love that your kids know how to cook (and that they're excited to learn). Can't get my niece and nephew interested, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like the recipes as well as the pictures and posts... I use so many of your sewing tutes... I am sure your cooking tutes would be as wonderful!! marky

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cooking with my 5 year old and he enjoys it too! It's a great way to have fun and connect to each other!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin