Friday, June 17, 2011

The Reason for You to Stay(UP)



Have you noticed there have been so many pretty dresses out there for summer? I always loved dresses, to me they are comfortable, easy (you don't have to coordinate the top and the bottom) and instantly make you look feminine.

I guess one of the trends is the tube top maxi dress. I have seen many pretty prints so far. Although, I have a love and hate relationship with "tube" tops or dresses. The problem?

They don't stay up.

I don't know if it's just because I don't have enough volume around the area where it is needed. After having three kids and going through breast feeding for each child, they simply disappeared... that's ok, I am not bitter. I think my three munchkins are totally worth it.

Those of you who have no idea what I am talking about when I say "they don't stay up", here is the example.

I was at Wal-Mart one day happily shopping (wearing my tube top dress) I thought, "Boy, I keep stepping on my dress. It is hard to walk!"

I looked down, and the tube part was becoming a "tummy warmer".
Are you in shock? Well, don't worry, I always wear stuff like that with something underneath. There wasn’t a "Shocking" costume malfunction episode, but it was still embarrassing to pull the dress up and fix it. Rather annoying too!

I bought the dress you saw in the picture at the end of last summer at Old Navy for around $7. As I expected it was kept sliding down.

When there is a problem, there is a solution (hopefully most of the times). I decided to cut off a couple inches from the hem, and made shoulder straps for the dress. No more looking down to check if the dress is still in the right place, I love it!

Now, there is a reason for the dress to stay up. :)

16 comments :

  1. That is the problem I have too... not enough "volume" to hold up those fun strapless dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    I think you've solved the problem perfectly!!!
    Cute dress!!

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea...They have never worked on me...even before kids!! :)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea! I have the opposite problem..with bigger boobs if you wear something that hangs from them you just look twice as big..like you're perpetually pregnant..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with everybody!
    Not having enough volume does not allow staying up - having (more)volume makes the person enormous. With tube dresses I think there is no middle - if I am wrong - would love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your story!
    My version is where a one year old is tripping and grabs my dress for stability. Both the dress and little girl ended up on the floor.
    Your straps are a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! I'm so with you:). I've always told my friends I couldn't wear them without the straps because I've got nothin' to hold it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, tubes ( without straps) are for toothpaste and cheese whiz! And I don't know what or who cheezzze whizz is for anyway, not me!

    I have a dress that had spaghetti straps and I decided to snitch some hem to make new wider straps that could align with and cover my undergarment straps... comfort and safety and modesty and functionality are all aspects I appreciate.

    You are very cleaver in your clothing adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh I have the same problem, and people look at me like I'm nuts when I complain about it. I also hate how with some of them, you really kind of need to wear a bra, but can't! Great solution to this problem, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have plenty of volume up top, and trust me when I say it does nothing to hold up that kind of dress! If anything, I always thought having less would do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I loved this post. You are so adorable! My problem with those types of dresses that that I have to much "volume" and nothing stays up. Love the idea for the straps :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do have OK bobs but even then my tub dresses and bras still slip down. Your alteration is the perfect answer

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha - what a great idea! No more sliding tube tops. Keeps it cute to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your comments! I loved reading your comments and found out I wasn't the only one with this problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sachiko, thank you so much for this. I never buy a strapless dress because of this reason now I can. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin