Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Link Party No. 56!


What is your "taste of summer"? Since I always have been a big fan of food, I have many that I can think of off the top of my head... watermelon, sloppy, corn on the cub, soumen (Japanese cold noodles), etc.

The newest taste of summer for me would be Pico de Gallo. I started making it a few years ago, it was good, but when I made it with the tomatoes that we harvested from our own garden, it tasted EVEN BETTER! I didn't really have a recipe that I followed. I made it so many times and I found my best combinations. It is easy to make, and inexpensive, perfect for summer parties.

{Pico de Gallo}

7 to 8 Tomatoes (I am big fan of Roma tomatoes)
1 Can of black beans
1 Can of corn
1/2 medium size red onion
About a handful of fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 to 1 lime
Salt & pepper

1. Dice tomatoes, red onion and cilantro. Put them in to a large bowl or container. I chop the red onion very tiny. I love the taste of onions, but I want them to blend in and not be too over powering.

2. Open the black beans and corn, drain the liquid. Add them to the bowl in step 1.

3. Squeeze the lime into the bowl, and add salt and pepper. This part is totally up to you how much you want to add. I guess most people won't add pepper to Pico de Gallo, but I like the little kick.

4. Let it chill in the refrigerator until time to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.

My family love to make nachos and pour the Pico de Gallo over it. It is soo good. :)

Say ahhh...



OK, it is time for you to show off your creations, sewing, crocheting, cooking, anything you made is welcome. Link up and have fun! :)

As always here are the rules:

1. Please post something YOU made. It doesn't matter if it is crochet, quilt, clothing, anything would be fine. I want to see it! If you use someone's idea or patterns please give them the rightful credit.

2. Link to your specific post, that way it is easier for everybody to find and read it.

3. Please grab the "Tea Rose Home" grab button, and link back from your post. If you can mention the party in your post or place the button on your side bar, that would be great! I want more people to have a chance to come and show off their creation.




16 comments :

  1. Salads are the perfect hot weather food for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, your pico de gallo looks so yummy I wish I could eat it for my breakfast right now! It's very good on burgers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You blog is so beautiful and feminine. I added your button to the side of mine. Have a lovely day, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great recipe! I could eat it every day for lunch with blue corn tortilla chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the fun party!!! That pico looks DELISH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe and for hosting! YUM! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting the linky! The pico de gallo looks so yummy and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks delicious. sure is very good
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm Happy to play with everyone today!

    Great links and thanks for hosting again.

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy recipe! When it's hot I prefer to eat a fresh salad with tuna/grilled chicken brest, feta cheese, olives and sweet corn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks delish! Love fresh tomatos and will have to give this a try!
    Jess
    jbeedelightful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks yummy! I love anything with black beans and corn! Love your blog & all your sewing creations too :)
    Not sure how this link party thing works but here is a link to my Black Bean Croquette recipe. Hope you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're making me hungry, and it's too late for snack time! My brother would love that recipe since Mexican food is his favorite. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We call that kind of salsa, cowboy salsa down here in Texas! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello from México.
    This recipe is not the one for the "Pico de Gallo", and certainly the taste obtained from the real and original one greatly differs from the one that is described here. I'm correcting this just as an attempt to avoid misinformation.

    Salsa Pico de Gallo is:

    -White Onion.
    -Red Tomatoes.
    -Chile Serrano.
    -Coriander. (cilantro)
    -Salt.

    Proportions in weight: Onion .4, tomatoes 1, chile serrano .2 to .5 (you decide), coriander .2

    Dice the onion, tomatoes and coriander, try to keep all elements in similar proportions and don`t go too small, let's say 8 mm. squares. Try to keep as much as you can of the juice from the tomatoes.

    Clean the chiles and depending on your tolerance to strong spicy sauces, you may turn down the strength of the chiles by slightly toasting them in a pan (This action is called "torear los chiles") and then cut them longitudinally in a half and remove the seeds and the veins, then chop it like the previous ingredients.

    Now mix all ingredients and add a little salt, taste it till you get to distinguish the flavor of all elements.

    If you feel brave and want to challenge your taste with a strong sauce, keep the seeds and mix them at the end of the preparation.

    You should end with something like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fijizzle/5903792644/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin